

It's so windy here in New Mexico in the spring that I had to put my glider away and go hiking instead. The other day I walked to the top of Tome Hill and visited the Penitente shrine. Tome is just a few miles south of where I live in Valencia county. Los Penitentes are a Catholic sect that worship Christ through self-punishment. They've toned their practices down quite a bit from the old days of bloody self-flagellation, hair shirts, and yes, even ritual crucifixion, but they still regularly climb Tome Hill. The most penitent make the trip on their knees. Here are a few pictures of a small part of the sprawling, free form shrine that covers the summit. Oh yeah, there's a launch on the north side of the hill that can be pretty soarable on the rare days that the valley drainage winds move this far south. Los Penitentes don't mind if we walk up and jump off their hill as long as we do it with respect.
No comments:
Post a Comment