12.08.2005

Video Review: PG Towing with Dixon White

Kat doing a forward, she has her Torpedo posture all dailed in. I'm looking for twigs and knots.

Soaring Sandy Peak

Damn, it's been too cold for flying lately. There have been some mornings with a nice north flow that would have been perfect for Blue or the T-Hill, but when the temps are 6 to 20 degrees F, I lose my motivation to stop off at the drop off. Instead, I've been stoking the pellet stove and digging into the pile of videos I bought from USHGA's on line store.
"Paraglider Towing - Basic Truck Towing Clinic with Dixon White" is one of a series of videos that Dixon and Paul Hamilton made together before Dixon's death in 2004. As the title implies this video covers the most basic aspects of PG towing. There's lots of very dry general safety tips, but very little info on how to actually tow or be toad. The highlights are the nice air to air footage and getting to see and hear Dixon perform one of his classic safety rants. I miss Dixon a lot, he was a friend and a real hero of foot launched flying.
Anyone expecting to learn how to tow from this video will be disappointed. Save your money and buy Pagen's book: "Towing Aloft" instead. Pagen's book is packed with nuts and bolts info that you can really use at the Tow Paddock.
Unfortunately, anyone expecting to be entertained by this video will also be disappointed. It's only 28 minutes long (and retails for $24.95!), but it's a tedious 28 minutes. The only folks that will find value in this video are those that have never even seen truck towing and are curious what it looks like.

No comments: